To make an old fashioned you’ll want to start with an “old fashioned” or “lowball” glass. The ingredients can vary a bit based on personal preference, but here is a common version that I use.
What you’ll need
- 2 oz. rye or bourbon
- 3 dashes bitters, Angostura is a very common brand
- 1 Sugar Cube or 1 tsp simple syrup or ½ tsp loose sugar
- 1 large square or spherical ice cube
- Slice of orange peel (optional)
- 1 old fashioned glass
What you’ll do
- Add the sugar or simple syrup to the glass.
- Add the 3 dashes of bitters.
- Crush the bitters into the sugar with a muddler or spoon.
- Add the ice cube.
- Pour the bourbon or rye.
- Stir your drink. The more you stir, the more the ice melts, so don’t overdo it.
- Garnish with an orange slice. (Optional)
- Drink up!